Wednesday, June 3, 2009

surfaces

May's Organizing Junkie Round-up was for a surface/shelf. At the beginning of the month I hurried through the house and got my before shots.
Ambitious, am I not?

There's the kitchen shelves. Since there are only two overhead cupboards in the kitchen, Jesse installed these for me. They can get discombobulated easy. (Forgot how much I like that word.)
Then there's our dresser top, somewhere underneath all that. It was clear 3 months ago. But having a baby can do things to your dresser. The drawers are empty, since you are lucky to just have clean clothes. Never mind getting them put away. And the top is full, since it is, uh, available.
And a bookshelf. That is Jesse's space. His mail. His books. They sit on the space in front of the books that actually belong there. The pile's been so bad, it's broken two shelves. Seriously.

Now... it is the beginning of June, and we are on vacation. The kids all want to go swimming. Now. Jesse's at work, 'cause that's how we take this vacation. (He grades AP exams while I play with kids all day.) And I forgot to take an after picture before we left. I know that's part of the fun. The best part. But I was in a time crunch and forgot. I'm sorry. :(

I only got to the kitchen. (Now you know my other messy spaces, and that they still look that way, or worse. I'm trying not to be embarrassed. Trying to keep it real.) Here is a description of the one surface I organized.

Top shelf: I moved the mugs up. Amazing difference. We only use those when company comes, so why have them take up prime shelf space? We have our own personal mugs we use daily. I did put mine up there too, right next to my coffee and french press. And the dried fruit basket. I can grab it quick and let the kids snack away. Gone are all the baking things, most of which I did not use often and could not reach or see, even if I wanted to use them.
Middle shelf: Now all jars. It looks so neat. I love it. I found some small jars that match my large ones and transferred the different sugars to them. No more messy bags. The sifter is still there on the end. Now the oil and flour (rice) we use for baking are next to it. The few other baking items I use are behind the new sugar jars. The rest are in the baking corner of the pantry.
Bottom shelf: Did not change much. It still holds all the dishes. It also was a "catch-all" space. I put all that in it's proper place.
I hope this description can hold you over until the picture arrives, when we get home in 10 days. I'm off to the pool now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tried to call you the other day. seemed to have misplaced your cell number. did not know you were on vacation...florida this year, again?